1kg of your preferred Wagyu cut, left as whole piece
2 TBSP Oil or Rendered Wagyu Fat
1 Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, sliced
4 cms Ginger, Grated
1 TBSP Coriander Seeds, whole
2 tsp Cumin Seeds, whole
1 tsp Chilli flakes
100 mls Tamarind Pulp
2 Tomatoes, diced
50 gm Sugar
2 litre stock or ½ bottle of tomato Passata
Recommended Wagyu Cuts -
- Defrost frozen Wagyu in fridge for 24-48 hours.
- 1 hour prior to cooking, temper the Wagyu to room temperature.
- In a large pan, or your heavy lidded cooking vessel, heat oil or rendered Wagyu fat and sear the sides of your Wagyu on high heat for around 3 minutes - till sides are browned and golden.
- Remove the Wagyu and set aside.
- Using the same pan or cooking vessel, add onion, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and chilli flakes and saute till softened and fragrant. Add garlic and ginger for final 30 seconds whilst stiring.
- Return the Wagyu and your mixture of cooked onion etc from above, to your slow cooker or heavy lidded vessel.
- Add the tamarind pulp, tomatoes, sugar and stock or passata and stir all to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low to medium temperature for 3-6 hours (depending on temperature).
- Once cooked remove the Wagyu and shred Wagyu with two forks. Add the Wagyu back to the slow cooker with the sauce.
- Serve in a bowl, in a bun, on rice or with your colourful vegies. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and enjoy!